DISCLAIMER

This blog is not a substitution for consulting with a medical professional. I do not have any formal training in medicine, psychology or cognitive therapy. I am simply sharing my personal experience in hopes that others will benefit as I have.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cognitive Therapy Tip #1: Scheduling Activities

"Cognitive therapy seeks to help the patient overcome difficulties by identifying and changing dysfunctional thinking, behavior, and emotional responses. This involves helping patients develop skills for modifying beliefs, identifying distorted thinking, relating to others in different ways, and changing behaviors." 


Wikipedia: Cognitive Therapy


I recently completed a cognitive therapy program at Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital. I found it to be extremely helpful; giving me practical tools that I can use every day to change my distorted thinking. 


One of the first things that they teach us to master is activity scheduling and ideally scheduling activities the night before. This is the acronym we were given to help us remember to balance our day with nurturing things to fill our time. 


G = Gentle with Self


R = Relaxation


A = Accomplishment


P = Pleasure


E = Exercise


S = Social

No comments:

Post a Comment